Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sunday Selections #155 or I need green, m'lord..........

The Sunday Selections meme is hosted by River at Drifting through Life. The rules are so simple as to be almost non-existent. Post some photos under the title Sunday Selections and link back to River. A chance to show off some of the photographs you have gathering dust in murky corners.

....... slightly plagiarizing  Lord Percy's famous comment.........

There's an awful lot of white in Michigan right now and no sign of it retreating so thought we would hop over to Westward Ho! for some nice English gardens, well, one in particular, maintained by the peeps who are really good at it, the RHS.  We were lucky enough to visit Rosemoor for a most enjoyable morning and one of my favourite lunches in the café, homemade soup and good bread!
















Besides missing bacon, sausages and everyday British humour, lol, I really miss a nice British garden!  Here in Michigan the growing season is pretty short (and can be a LOT shorter, I know, the further north you go) and some plants just don't make it.  I can remember the World Traveller bringing in a bunch of our homegrown sweet peas to the hospital in Dorset just after Pittsburgh Girl was born....in August!  Here, you have to start the seeds indoors, which I always forget to do, and get the seedlings out as soon as you dare in May because the heat of the sun come June and July just scorches the poor things.  Rosemary is another that doesn't overwinter well.  On the other hand, slugs are pretty much unknown so that can only be a bonus!

8 comments:

  1. Such a pretty garden. I need to add it to my Must Go Visit Someday list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very beautiful. And I have that first rose (or its close cousin) in my garden - where it has been crispified in our heat wave. Fingers and toes crossed that it recovers. I think it is David Austan's William Shakespeare - and smells as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No slugs in Michigan? That's almost worth moving for. The gardens are very nice, I like that big lily pond. I hope it has goldfish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful garden pics! Wish I had a green thumb....but all that dirt just makes me want to run away screaming :D Besides....I have been known to kill a cactus....so have decided that it may not be such a good idea to attempt redoing our garden by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the splash of colour Gillie, has brightened my day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to see spring/summer colour to brighten a cold day here Gillie. We're freezing right now, but not as bad as you are, just a frost!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your lovely photos brightened my day

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and read every one! Please never steal away without telling me you were here!